For those who don't know already, I'm one of those old-fashioned people who likes to collect CDs instead of downloading my music. My recent purchase, from a couple of weeks back, in James Morrison's Undiscovered.Can't remember why I decided to get it, but I always had this thing for semi-famous rock musicians. I went through a Dave Matthews phase, and then bought Gavin DeGraw. Looking through the collection, which includes a copy of High School Musical (that I really love!), there's no obvious common denominator in the music that I listen to, save the fact that I draw the line on punk rock and metal.
So, what's so special about James? Despite the tag that FM104.7 gave him (the next James Blunt - I have a copy of Back to Bedlam, but the connotations of the association isn't very positive), I was impressed by the mellowness of his arrangements, and the graininess of his voice. Each of his songs have this up-and-down mix of seriousness and upbeatness, where sometimes the lyrics contradict the melody.
On another note (pardon the pun), here's a clip of Paolo Nutini, eye-candy from Scotland who sounds even better, as recommended by T.