Friday, 26 September 2008

Rounds #3

The following is just an expression of my thoughts and an acknowledgement of the work of others. Information in this blog and those accessed through links from this page SHOULD NOT be taken as medical advice in place of those from a qualified medical practitioner. If you have a medical question, I urge you to consult your local health care provider.

Revision - short one this week as my readings have switched to the paperbase variety for finals:

  • A UTI with a difference: An ER Story that could make or break your decision to specialise in urology.
  • I haven't even started my revision on the Reproduction modules and I'm seeing ectopic pregnancies everywhere. This entry by Trauma Bay highlighted the piece of advice given to us by our clinician tutor: always assume a female of childbearing age is pregnant - No exceptions. Also brought up an interesting question about the ethics of inducing an abortion of an EP.
  • Ohhoooe. Many people outside my family will not know that I freaking lurve the series "House". The problem that most medicos have about it is that the series is not medically kosher. I personally don't have enough pathology or clinical background to know better. However, there's not many people like Scott who would actually dissect it scene-by-scene. Here's his analysis of the Epi 3 of Season 5, which happens to be a presentation of neuro symptoms. Don't read it if you don't want a spoiler. Plenty of stuff in his archives also to keep you entertained.
  • Buckeye Surgeon's hosting the SurgeXperience carnival for this fortnight. Just go read.
  • ERStories shares the (literal) highs and lows of haemotology. I need to go back to my Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine to make sure I know the actual ranges.
  • Coming out of my elective workshop, where we had a go at plastering, injection etc in preparation for our basic clinical electives, this entry by DrB is a great extension of the plastering workshop. A unique voice among the surgeon blogs - not all surgeons are gruff and unapproachable.