*1 sleep more to go before first of 2 papers!*During my revision, I came across this sentence:
"... that REM sleep is reverse learning – we dream to forget meaningless, repetitious information from the neural network."Hopefully I get enough of that tonight, cos my estimation is that I've only crammed in the bare minimum to pass my exams and need to free up more hard drive space to shoe-horn in another 15 weeks of material from first semester.
It's funny how I only managed to find out this snippet of information about REM sleep now. I'm quite sceptical about its validity, because somehow I'd always thought that REM sleep was some Fraudian concept with close-to-nil physiological benefit. Gleaning from personal experience, whenever I've woken up from a REM-dominated night of sleep (which strangely, I'm frequently roused by a fall on my back in the dream), it's usually with a pounding headache. Which leads to me being grumpy and irritable and confused as hell about the "significance" of the fall that woke me... Quite contrary to "(p)erson deprived of REM sleep become moody, depressed and exhibits personality disorders."
Although some might say that I do show all 3 signs of deprivation.