Saturday, 17 September 2005

Musings

I often wonder what it would be like to be a full time philosopher. Not those who dabble in theology, but rather the group of people who like to ponder about things like "Is the cup half full or half empty?" in the bizarre literal sense. I mean, there's really no right or wrong answer to all these questions, so it's based entirely on a person's persuasive prowess. [edited]

Even while typing this, it seems a little odd to be saying this. I mean, isn't it a natural instinct to feel good about knowing something concrete? I used to get a rush whenever I managed to place together bits of information to solve a problem - I even called it my "McGyvver" moments. Nowadays, I get so anxious whenever I pass on information to people. Did I exaggerate anything? Leave out anything? Misrepresented anything? Is the logic even correct? This is where route learning just falls into pieces. It's at times like these that I get tempted to just grab some brightly dyed cloth and head for the hills. It's probably easier being the key to the meaning of life than than a business analyst talking to IT techies.
"The more you learn, the more you realise what you don't
know
".

My manager is a true inspiration. He's probably one of the most patient person I've met. He's got a habit of 'lifelong learning', a concept that my 1st year engineering lecturer kept selling but one that I never really mastered wholeheartedly, despite the obvious benefits. And he transfers knowledge so well - the recipients really trust him as a source. I'm not saying like he's the Nabi Mohd, but it illustrates how important being reliable is. This is probably stating the obvious here, and that's why I started out thinking "How hard can it be?"... Let's just say that "guru" is not a title of reverence for nothing.