Tuesday, 28 November 2006

Christmas, Thanksgiving, altruism

I love reading the New York Times. It's free, comprehensive, has excellent world news and is the last constant link back to my Penn State days when I'd sit cross-legged on my dorm room, usually with a bag of popcorn, or in the cafeteria devouring the issue of the day. The internet version of the publication is just as good in content, although I miss the weight of the newsprint in my hands.

Just today, I was reading an article about Thanksgiving (can you believe its that time of the year again?) and there was this phrase "action absorbs anxiety" which I thought was so concise. There was also a commentary about the Bush Administration's 'No Child Left Behind' policy, and mentioned this organisation called Teach for America - which made me remember an earlier post that I made while I was in Penn about this blog from a guy in DC who was a first year TFA teacher who I take my hat off to, for his positivity and resilience. Unfortunately, that blog's wiped off cyber history (due to a very amusing and potentially embarrassing incident during work orientation last year), so I can't set up a link for that. In any case, google "Teach for America" and I'm sure that there are more blogs if you want to find out more.

At the mention of Thankgiving, Christmas inevitably comes up. This year it seems as though it snuck up on me. I'm consciously procrastinating this year, hoping that by start of December the rush panic wouldn't hit so hard this time... Absolutely no idea what to get for some people. And absolutely avoiding any involvement with all things poultry (with good reason cos I can't remember the last time I cooked a proper dinner for anyone).

With the end of year so close, I was cautiously optimistic about rolling off my project. Yet, the discussion wih my project partner didn't leave me with a lot of that optimism left. So, it looks like it may be a case of taking control of my career reins... I think the next week will be the litmus test.