Sunday, 20 January 2008

Be kind, rewind.

For those of you who have not been pivvy to the mundane going-ons that is my life in the past quarter of the year, here's the Cliff's note version:

Sept 2007: Promoted from lowly Analyst to Consultant. I take what I can.

Oct 2007: Went for Core Consultant School (the base camp 1 of ACN training) in roaring Chicago and enjoyed it immensely. The architecture dotted across the city was truely inspiring and I recommend the Chicago Architectural Foundation Tour to anyone who has the chance to visit what is now my third favourite city in the States. I then continued onto Chile to visit my college roommate in Santiago!! Loved the city, and loved the company and really appreciate D for making me so at home there, as always. Had developed a liking for pisco sours - try it when you're there.

Nov 2007: Flew onto Madrid, Spain to continue my spanish adventure, having pick up a bit of the lingo with D's tutelage. My first taste of the rich cultural heritage of Europe, and I liked it! Did all the museums, tried bits of local cuisine. Stayed in Cat's Hostel. Not bad! Next stop was Paris, France. I'm glad that I got to see it for the first time with the eye's of a 25 year-old, because I may have missed a lot of the city's charm and beauty. I like the natural sophistication enveloping everything in the city, the literature, the sloping rooftops, the sight of baguettes the size of rolled-up newspaper, the pavement facing chairs in restaurants, the twinkle and smile of the men whenever they catch my eye. Truly a city of possibilities and justifies its claim as the Capitol of Romance. Stayed in Young and Happy in the Latin Quarter. Go there for the evening markets at rue Mouffetard, if nothing else, because the wine, cheeses and produce left me wishing I had double my luggage allowance. Stopped by in London to catch up with my good cousins and had a ball checking out the culinary offerings and markets! When I get a chance I will transcript my travel notes...

Dec 2007: Back to the business of getting the system live. It was a matter of clamping down CRs and repressing the anxiety of not knowing whether I got in to med school and facing the prospect of Starting Over. Nevertheless, all turned out well on the 13/12. Saying goodbye to the people who were with me since day 1 was difficult but necessary. Along the way I have been privileged to hear about some amazing aspirations and hope that one day they'd be realised. Had a lovely quiet Christmas, but couldn't hope but realise how the family's evolved over the couple of years.

Jan 2008: Moved to Brisbane. Have this niggly feeling that I have lost a large batch of books somehow. No, not my Tin Tin comics!!! School starts tomorrow. The fact that it's my 26th also marks the day that I step out of my quarter-life doubts and buckle down. The future seems so set, yet filled with so many opportunities. The best way to describe it is that for the past 8 years, my train was derailed, and I have now returned back to Station 1 to start the journey. The derailment gave me the opportunity to fix up problem areas, which would otherwise have been overlooked.