Thursday, 7 December 2006

0 ^ 0 = phi?

This is an interesting one. When my Science tutor uncle came down to Australia for a visit, he posed this question to the science nerds in the house (i.e. my sister and I): "What's zero to the power of zero?". I said "1" based on the law that all numbers to the power of 0 was 1. My sister said 0, because 0 multipled by anything is 0. He exclaimed "Infinity!". Now that I think about what I've learnt back in college, he was right. The "official" answer among the maths community is infinity. But I reckon my sister was closer to the mark. Think about it. If you have nothing and split it between a group of zero, you can't suddenly have infinity - you are still left with nothing.

But now this guy Dr Anderson has come up with a new definition to handle errors in calculations when you get something divided by zero. Some people have the tendency to indulge in "creative accounting". He'll get props for "creative algebra". I have to say that his choice of the shorthand representation will be very confusing, because it looks too much like phi.